As a Maxillofacial and Cosmetic surgeon with over 20 years of experience, I am uniquely qualified to achieve complex surgical results while enhancing my patients’ physical appearance.
My prosthetics team and I deliver outstanding patient satisfaction through leading edge, cost effective dental implant solutions.
We also offer zygomatic implants, for highly resorbed top jaws.
Frequently Asked Questions
A dental implant is a small titanium screw that is placed in the jawbone where teeth are missing. Dental implants provide secure anchors for the placement of an artificial tooth or set of artificial teeth. Dental implants:
– Look, feel and function like natural teeth
– Prevent bone deterioration that might occur as a result of missing teeth
– Preserve facial structure
– Let you smile with confidence
Made from the strongest titanium, dental implants are surgically placed in the jawbone where teeth are missing.
Over the next several months, the implants will gradually bond with the bone, creating a strong and stable foundation for your new teeth.
Small posts are then attached to the implants, and artificial teeth are placed over the posts.
The new teeth are completely natural looking, and will allow you to eat virtually any type of food.
While traditional dentures and bridgework can help to improve the appearance of missing teeth, many people find them inconvenient, uncomfortable and less natural looking.
For many people, dental implants offer clear advantages over traditional dentures or bridgework. In addition to being a more aesthetic choice, dental implants also feel and function more like your natural teeth.
What’s more, with dental implants, there’s no need to sacrifice healthy adjacent teeth to provide support for bridgework.
- Look less natural, may be uncomfortable
– May shift and click during eating and talking
– Often uncomfortable
– Adjoining teeth may be damaged from supporting bridgework
– Chewy foods may cause dentures to become loose
– Denture pastes and powders required
– Dentures must be removed at night
– Look and feel like natural teeth
– Fit securely
– Healthy adjoining teeth are preserved
– Allow you to eat virtually any food
– Convenient – no special care needed
– Can help prevent bone deterioration and gum erosion
– Can help preserve facial structure
In most cases, Dr McHugh can perform dental implant surgery in our Penrith clinic’s operating theatre under local anaesthetic with intravenous sedation, or at Nepean Private Hospital under general anaesthetic.
Dr McHugh will discuss your specific surgery thoroughly with you before your procedure.
The number of dental implants needed will depend on the location and number of missing teeth, as well as the type of prosthesis (replacement teeth) chosen. While Dr McHugh will discuss your individual circumstances with you, the chart below can give you some general guidelines.
The best candidates for dental implants will be in good overall health and have a sufficient amount of healthy jawbone to serve as a foundation for dental implants.
However, even if you don’t have the optimal jawbone, Dr McHugh may still be able to use advanced techniques such as bone grafting or a sinus lift in order to allow successful placement of dental implants.